Will an external hard drive work on both Mac and PC?
Want to use one external drive for both your Windows PC and your Mac machine? … Windows uses NTFS while Mac OS uses HFS, and they’re incompatible with each other. However, you can format the drive to work with both Windows and Mac by using the exFAT filesystem.
- Connect the external hard drive to your Mac.
- Drag the files you want to transfer to the external hard drive’s icon on your desktop. …
- Drag the hard drive icon to the Trash when the files have finished transferring. …
- Connect the hard drive to your Windows computer.
Can you use an external hard drive on two devices?
You can link a single external hard drive to two or more computers that are on the same network. … You cannot, however, connect two computers directly to the drive by USB, eSATA or Firewire. External hard drives can only be connected to one computer, and they can then be set up for sharing over a network.
Macs and Windows PCs can use almost any networked-attached storage drive over a wired or wireless network; Apple’s Time Capsule is actually one of the best choices for shared backup. Macs and PCs can back up to the same Time Capsule drive.
How do I transfer files between Mac and PC?
How to share files between a Mac and a PC
- Open System Preferences on your Mac.
- Click Sharing.
- Click the checkbox next to File Sharing.
- Click Options…
- Click on the checkbox for the user account you’d like to share with a Windows machine under Windows Files Sharing. You might be asked to enter a password.
- Click Done.
How do I transfer files from Mac hard drive to PC?
How to Move Your Mac files to a Windows PC
- Connect your external drive to your Mac, open the drive and select File.
- Select New Folder.
- Type Exported Files” and hit Return. …
- Open the Photos app and click Edit in the Menu bar.
- Click Select All.
- Click File.
- Move your cursor to Export.
How do I format my external hard drive for Mac and PC?
Format a disk for Windows computers in Disk Utility on Mac
- In the Disk Utility app on your Mac, choose View > Show All Devices. …
- In the sidebar, select the disk you want to format to use with Windows computers.
- Click the Erase button in the toolbar.
How do I connect two external hard drives together?
You can even connect multiple USB or firewire storage devices through a daisy chain.
- Plug the hard drives directly into your computer if you have enough ports. …
- Connect the external storage devices through a daisy chain if you run out of USB or firewire ports. …
- Get a hard drive with a port. …
- Hook up the first hard drive.
Why does my external hard drive have 2 USB?
2 Why Two Plugs
Hard drives sometimes need more power than they can draw from your computer using a single USB cable. In this case, the hard drive typically comes with a USB cable that has a standard connection on one end and a Y-shaped split cable on the other, each ending in a USB connection.