What happens if I put my hard drive in another computer?
If you actually try moving a Windows drive to another computer and booting from it–or restoring a Windows system image backup on different hardware–it usually won’t boot properly. You may see an error about problems with the “hardware abstraction layer” or “hal. dll”, or it may even blue-screen during the boot process.
Share a folder, drive, or printer
- Right-click the folder or drive you want to share.
- Click Properties. …
- Click Share this folder.
- In the appropriate fields, type the name of the share (as it appears to other computers), the maximum number of simultaneous users, and any comments that should appear beside it.
How can I use an external hard drive as another computer?
You can give an old computer or its hard drive a second chance at life by converting the system to a Network Attached Server, or by pulling out the computer’s hard drive and installing it in an external enclosure.
Adding an external hard drive to your network
- Connect the external hard drive to the USB port of your server or computer that is always ON.
- Click the Start button, then click Computer.
- Right-click on the external drive, then select Share with.
- Click the Advanced Sharing…
- Check the Share this folder option.
Can you use an old hard drive on a new PC?
You can also use a USB hard drive adapter, which is a cable-like device, connecting to the hard drive on one end and to a USB in the new computer on the other. If the new computer is a desktop, you can also connect the old drive as a secondary internal drive, just as the one already in the new computer.
Can I swap hard drives between laptops?
Distinguished. Physical you can swap the hard drives… but there is a VERY high chance it will blue screen at startup and get stuck in a boot loop. Windows configures itself to your hardware at first boot and doesn’t take kindly to major hardware changes.
How can I access files from another computer?
- 1Click the Start menu and choose Network.
- 2Click the Network and Sharing Center button.
- 3How to file share between computers? …
- 4Turn off Password Protected Sharing and click Apply.
- 5Place files and folders you want to share with others into your PC’s Public folder.
How do I access a folder from another computer?
Click the “Share” tab at the top of File Explorer if you want to share additional folders with the other computer. Select the folder you want to share, and then click “Homegroup (View and Edit)” on the ribbon to give the other computer full access to the folder.
How do I transfer C$ to another computer?
Enable Administrative C$ Share
- At the computer, open Computer.
- Right-click the C drive and select Properties.
- In the Properties box, select the Security tab and verify that the Administrator’s group has full privileges.
- To set up C drive sharing with a specific account, select Sharing and click Advanced Sharing.
Why does my external hard drive have 2 USB?
2 Why Two Plugs
Hard drives sometimes need more power than they can draw from your computer using a single USB cable. In this case, the hard drive typically comes with a USB cable that has a standard connection on one end and a Y-shaped split cable on the other, each ending in a USB connection.
Can I use an old laptop as an external hard drive?
If you’ve an old hard disk, one way to reuse it is to convert it into external USB storage. If you’ve upgraded your laptop or PC with an SSD, you’re probably wondering what to do with the old hard drive. For little money, you can install it in an external enclosure and use it as an external USB drive.
Take advantage of your router’s USB port with a little trick that lets you share a hard drive with anyone on your Wi-Fi network.
Here’s how to set it up on Windows.
- Step 1: Choose your drive. …
- Step 2: Enable USB drive sharing. …
- Step 3: Access the drive.
Can I connect an external hard drive to my router?
First, you can connect an external USB hard drive to a router that features USB ports. Plug the hard drive into the wall and then connect it to the router. … The hard drive appears in the Network window along with other drives shared on the network. Viewing and accessing network hard drives can be done in Windows.
How do I connect two external hard drives together?
You can even connect multiple USB or firewire storage devices through a daisy chain.
- Plug the hard drives directly into your computer if you have enough ports. …
- Connect the external storage devices through a daisy chain if you run out of USB or firewire ports. …
- Get a hard drive with a port. …
- Hook up the first hard drive.
How do I connect multiple hard drives?
There are two main ways to use multiple hard drives on a single computer: You can connect multiple external hard drives to a laptop or desktop computer using a USB or Firewire connection. External hard drives are easy to install and are usually portable. You can install additional hard disks on a desktop computer.