How can I make my WD hard drive compatible with Mac and PC?
Most WD Drives come formatted in the NTFS (Windows) or HFS+ (Mac) format. For a hard drive to be able to be read and written to in both a PC and Mac computer, it must be formatted to ExFAT or FAT32 file format. FAT32 has several limitations, including a 4 GB per-file limit.
Can I use my WD Passport on PC?
In Windows Platform
Connect your WD My Passport hard drive to your Windows PC through the USB cable. Wait till Windows detects the external hard drive and configure it as an expansion drive automatically. 2. Click the Start button and type this pc, then select This PC app.
How do I get my WD external hard drive to work on Mac and Windows?
How To Make WD Passport Work On Mac And Windows
- Turn On Your Mac And Log In. …
- Look For The External Hard Drive Icon On Your Desktop. …
- Choose Your Western Digital My Passport External Drive. …
- Give Your External Passport Drive A Name. …
- Pick Your My Passport Drive A Second Time. …
- Then Select The ExFAT Format.
How do I use WD My Passport on Windows?
Start Setting Up WD My Passport
Get the USB 3.0 cable provided along with the drive. Now, turn on your Windows 10 computer. Plug the USB cable’s one end to the drive and the other end to your computer. Now, your computer will try to recognize the connected drive.
Does WD My Passport work with Windows 10?
WD My Passport Ultra is an external hard drive that users can utilize with Windows 10 desktops and laptops.
What are the disadvantages of exFAT?
Disadvantages of exFAT
- Not as compatible as FAT32.
- It does not offer journaling functionality and other advanced features built into the NTFS file system.
How do I format my external hard drive for Mac and PC?
Format a disk for Windows computers in Disk Utility on Mac
- In the Disk Utility app on your Mac, choose View > Show All Devices. …
- In the sidebar, select the disk you want to format to use with Windows computers.
- Click the Erase button in the toolbar.
Does exFAT format work on Mac and PC?
exFAT is a good option if you work often with Windows and Mac computers. Transferring files between the two operating systems is less of a hassle, since you don’t have to constantly back up and reformat each time. Linux is also supported, but you will need to install appropriate software to take full advantage of it.