How do I fix my DVD drive not reading?
To reinstall the driver, follow these steps:
- Press the Windows logo key + R to open the Run dialog box.
- Type devmgmt. …
- In Device Manager, expand DVD/CD-ROM drives, right-click the CD and DVD devices, and then select Uninstall.
- When you are prompted to confirm that you want to remove the device, select OK.
Why is my disc drive not reading discs?
If multiple discs fail to be recognized, it’s likely there is a problem with the CD-ROM drive. … However, if the disc doesn’t work in any computer, it’s probably defective and should be replaced. Try cleaning the drive with a CD/DVD drive cleaning product.
How do I boot from DVD drive?
How to boot from DVD or CD rescue media
- Go to your computer’s BIOS settings and confirm that the optical drive is listed first in the boot sequence. …
- Insert the rescue boot disk into the optical drive.
- Restart your computer. …
- Stay alert! …
- Your computer should start using the rescue boot disk.
Why is my CD drive not working?
Update or reinstall the driver for the optical disk drive
Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box. … In the Device Manager window, expand DVD/CD-ROM drives. Right-click the CD/DVD/Blu-ray drive that is listed, and then click Uninstall. Click OK to confirm that you want to remove the device.
How do I check if my DVD drive is working properly?
If not, refer to the Dell knowledgebase article Optical Drive is not recognized in Windows.
- Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.
- In the Run dialog box, type devmgmt. msc then press the Enter key.
- In the Device Manager window, expand DVD/CD-ROM drives. Verify that the optical disk drive is listed.
What would cause a DVD player to not read discs?
No-disc errors are usually caused when the DVD or the laser-lens pickup has become dirty and causes the DVD player to not be able to read the DVD. … You may need to upgrade to a newer model, most of which accept the latest DVD formats. Clean the laser lens with a DVD laser lens cleaning disc.
How do I repair a DVD RW disc?
The Toothpaste Method
Run warm water over the disc. Using toilet paper, dry the disc in a smooth, circular motion. Apply a small amount of toothpaste to the data side of the damaged disc. Rub with a clean cloth in a circular motion until the entire disc is covered in toothpaste.
How do you fix a CD that won’t read?
5 Ways to Repair a CD or DVD
- Clean the disc using a soft lint-free cloth and a dab of warm water and mild detergent. …
- Fill scratches with toothpaste. …
- Soften scratches with heat from a 60W lightbulb. …
- Fill the scratch with a wax-based product. …
- Cover holes in the data layer with pen and tape.
How do I select a boot device?
Generally, the steps go like this:
- Restart or turn on the computer.
- Press the key or keys to enter the Setup program. As a reminder, the most common key used to enter the Setup program is F1. …
- Choose the menu option or options to display the boot sequence. …
- Set the boot order. …
- Save the changes and exit the Setup program.
How do you boot from a DVD in Windows 10?
From within Windows, press and hold the Shift key and click the “Restart” option in the Start menu or on the sign-in screen. Your PC will restart into the boot options menu. Select the “Use a device” option on this screen and you can choose a device you want to boot from, such as a USB drive, DVD, or network boot.
How do I enable UEFI in boot DVD?
Steps are provided below:
- Boot mode should be selected as UEFI (Not Legacy).
- Secure Boot set to Off. …
- Go to the ‘Boot’ tab in the BIOS and select Add Boot option. ( …
- A new window will appear with ‘blank’ boot option name. ( …
- Name it “CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive” …
- Press < F10 > key to save settings and restart.
Why is my DVD player not working?
Check if the optical disc drive is dirty or broken. Dust is always the culprit for most DVD player not read/load errors. … DVD player not working might be a sign that the disc tray, tray motor or laser is worn out. To fix any of the DVD hardware, you need to open the housing and check the inside with special tools.