How do I fix my WD Elements external hard drive?
Fix WD external hard drive not recognized error
- Go to Setting > Update & security.
- Tab on Recovery > Advanced Startup > Restart now.
- PC will automatically boot into another Startup Settings screen.
- Press F4 to initiate PC reboot into Safe Mode.
- Then check whether the WD external hard disk can be detected or not.
Why is my WD elements not recognized?
If the WD external hard drive shows as unrecognized, go to the driver’s tab and delete/uninstall the driver. Then check out whether the external hard drive shows up in My Computer/My PC or not. If it doesn’t show up, reboot or restart the PC.
How do I unlock my WD Elements hard drive?
▪ Go > Applications > WD Drive Utilities
On the Unlock Drive dialog: a. Type your password in the Password box. b. Click Unlock Drive.
How do I format WD Elements?
Option B. Format WD hard drive via professional format tool
- Run the software. Right-click the partition on the WD hard drive and choose “Format Partition”.
- Choose exFAT or FAT32 among the listed file systems on the drop-down menu. …
- Return to the main interface.
What to do if WD hard disk is not working?
Shut down both your computer and your WD hard disk, then restart and check if the error persists. If the error is caused by an incompatible USB cable, or a malfunctioning USB port, connecting your hard disk using a different cable and USB port may help you get rid of the fatal error.
How do I fix my external hard drive not being recognized?
What to Do When Your External Hard Drive Won’t Show Up
- Make Sure It’s Plugged In and Powered On. Western Digital My Book. …
- Try Another USB Port (or Another PC) …
- Update Your Drivers. …
- Enable and Format the Drive in Disk Management. …
- Clean the Disk and Start From Scratch. …
- Remove and Test the Bare Drive.
How do I fix my WD external hard drive not initialized?
● Fix 1: initialize WD drive in Disk Management
- Right click the “This PC” icon on the desktop and hit the “Manage” option. …
- Right click on the WD drive that needs initializing and select “Initialize Disk”.
- Follow the wizard to initialize the WD drive as MBR or GPT disk.
Why is my computer not recognizing my external hard drive?
Hard drive not detected error/issue can be caused by the following situations: The USB driver has become unstable, outdated, or corrupt. USB ports become faulty, damaged, or broken. Partition issues on your external USB device.
How do I unlock my WD external hard drive if I forgot my password?
Enter an incorrect password five times in a row. Upon the fifth failed attempt, you will be prompted to erase your drive. Agree to the terms, and then click Erase Drive. You can then proceed with a password reset.
How do I put a password on my WD external hard drive?
Click the “Security” button to display the Set Security screen. Enter a password in the “Choose a password” box, and then enter it again in the Verify Password box.
What is WD Drive Utilities?
WD Drive Utilities lets you configure, manage, and diagnose your Western Digital external drives. The interface is simple to use. You can scan for errors as well as check for increases in temperature, noise, or read and write errors, which can all be signs of a failing hard drive.
How does wd elements work?
When connected to a USB 3.0 port, WD Elements portable hard drive delivers fast data transfer rates. When your internal hard drive is almost full your PC slows down. … Free up space on your internal hard drive by transferring files to your WD Elements portable hard drive and get your laptop moving again.
How do I Format my WD Elements external hard drive to FAT32?
Select your hard drive in the drives list, right-click on it, and select Format. Set the options as the following and then hit OK. Partition label – enter a name for your drive. File system – select FAT32.
How do I Format my WD external hard drive for Windows 10?
How to Format a Hard Drive for Windows 10
- Connect your external hard drive to a Windows computer. …
- Right-click on the external hard drive and click Format.
- Choose a format under File System. …
- Check the Quick Format box, and click Start. …
- Click OK when the Format Complete pop-up screen appears.