What to do if WD hard disk is not working?
Shut down both your computer and your WD hard disk, then restart and check if the error persists. If the error is caused by an incompatible USB cable, or a malfunctioning USB port, connecting your hard disk using a different cable and USB port may help you get rid of the fatal error.
How do I check my WD hard drive for errors?
- Download the Windows Data Lifeguard Diagnostics, WinDlg_vx_xx.zip.
- Extract and run the program, WinDlg_vx_xx.exe. …
- Read and accept the license agreement to continue.
- On the main program screen, there are two windows. …
- Highlight the drive and select the icon on the top row to test or run SMART status.
How do I fix my WD Passport external hard drive not recognized?
Reconnect the WD drive via a new USB hub or to a new PC.
- If the WD Passport drive shows up, it is the damaged USB hub that stops WD from showing up.
- If the WD passport is not detected either on your current or the new PC, replace the WD drive with a new one.
How do I fix a corrupted WD hard drive?
Method 3. Run CMD to Repair Corrupted External Hard Drive Without Formatting
- Press Win+R, type: cmd and click Enter;
- Type: diskpart and hit Enter;
- Type: list disk and hit Enter;
- Type: select disk 0 and hit Enter; (0 stands for the drive letter of your corrupted external hard drive.)
Why is my WD hard drive not working?
Here are some possible reasons for a WD hard drive not recognized: … Windows is unable to allocate a hard drive letter. Outdated or corrupt hard drive driver (download and install the latest driver to update WD) A fault with the USB port on the computer or USB device.
How do I reset my WD hard drive?
How to Reset a WD Drive
- Leave the drive turned on but unplug it from your computer.
- Turn around the drive and locate the “Reset” button on the back panel of the unit. …
- Unbend the leg of a paperclip and insert it into the hole until you depress the reset button and the paperclip won’t go any further. …
How much is WD hard drive warranty?
WD Red hard drive covered by the 3 year warranty.
How fix bad sectors WD external hard drive?
After that, you need to repair hard drive.
- Double-click “Computer”, find the external hard drive you want to repair, right-click it and select “Properties”.
- In the Properties Window, click “Tools” > “Check now…”.
- After that, it will pop up a window, check “Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors”.
How do you fix bad Smart?
How do I fix Smart status bad issue?
- Reboot your computer and recover data.
- Disable S.M.A.R.T error from the BIOS.
- Check bad sectors on the hard drive.
- Back up and replace the hard drive.
How can I fix my external hard drive without formatting?
How to fix an external hard drive without formatting?
- Press Windows Key + S and search for Command Prompt. …
- Type CHKDSK E: /F /R /X and press Enter (replace “E:” with your own drive letter).
- When the scan is finished, you’ll see a screen that details how many issues were found and resolved.
Why is my external hard drive not reading?
Hard drive not detected error/issue can be caused by the following situations: The USB driver has become unstable, outdated, or corrupt. USB ports become faulty, damaged, or broken. Partition issues on your external USB device.
How do I fix a corrupted hard drive that won’t boot?
Fixing “Disk boot failure” on Windows
- Restart the computer.
- Open the BIOS. …
- Go to the Boot tab.
- Change the order to position the hard disk as the 1st option. …
- Save these settings.
- Restart the computer.
How do I fix a crashed hard drive?
Solutions to A Logical Hard Drive Crash
- 1 Try to recover data to another device.
- 2 Try to format the partition.
- 1 Try to retrieve data and backup them to another place.
- 2 Check the hard drive whether it could still be used.
- 3 Send it to repair or replace your hard drive.