How do I get my WD external hard drive to work on my Mac?
- Connect your Western Digital hard drive to your Mac computer.
- Double-click the drive icon that appears on your desktop.
- Click “Applications” from the left pane, “Utilities” from the second pane and then double click “Disk Utility” from the third pane.
- Click the drive from the left pane of the Disk Utility.
Can WD hard drive be used on Mac?
A Western Digital external hard drive can be used on both Windows and Mac OSX. This is useful if a drive is being used under both Operating System (OS)to move files between the two environments. Most WD Drives come formatted in the NTFS (Windows) or HFS+ (Mac) format.
How do I get my WD external hard drive to work on Mac and Windows?
How To Make WD Passport Work On Mac And Windows
- Turn On Your Mac And Log In. …
- Look For The External Hard Drive Icon On Your Desktop. …
- Choose Your Western Digital My Passport External Drive. …
- Give Your External Passport Drive A Name. …
- Pick Your My Passport Drive A Second Time. …
- Then Select The ExFAT Format.
Why is my WD Passport not recognized Mac?
In the Finder Preferences window, click the General tab and verify whether you have selected the “External disks” checkbox under the Show these items on the desktop section. Go to the Sidebar tab and enable the “External disks” checkbox. Now, check if you could access the My Passport external disk on your Mac.
How do I unlock my WD Passport for Mac?
Go > Applications > WD Security ▪ Go > Applications > WD Drive Utilities 2. If you have more than one supported device connected to your computer, select the one that is locked to display the Unlock Drive dialog. 3. On the Unlock Drive dialog: a.
How do I make my external hard drive compatible with Mac and PC?
How to format an external drive in OS X
- Select the drive you want to format. …
- Enter the amount of space you want to set aside for Time Machine. …
- Select the new untitled partition so we can format it as exFAT for use with both Mac and Windows. …
- Give the partition a name and select exFAT for the format.
What are the disadvantages of exFAT?
Disadvantages of exFAT
- Not as compatible as FAT32.
- It does not offer journaling functionality and other advanced features built into the NTFS file system.
What is WD drive unlock?
With the WD Drive Unlock Utility. Whenever you connect your password-protected drive to a computer that does not have the WD Security or WD Drive Utilities software installed, you can use the WD Drive Unlock utility to unlock the drive there.
How do I format WD My Passport for Mac and Windows?
How to Format a Western Digital My Passport to Mac & PC
- Plug the drive in. …
- Launch Disk Utility. …
- Select the WD Passport drive. …
- Go to the Erase tab. …
- Proceed to formatting. …
- Download the Western Digital FAT32 Formatting Utility. …
- Plug the drive in. …
- Launch the Formatting Utility.
How do you make sure your Mac is backed up?
Make sure your Mac Pro is on the same Wi-Fi network as your external storage device, or connect the storage device to your Mac Pro. Open System Preferences, click Time Machine, then select Back Up Automatically. Select the drive you want to use for backup, and you’re all set.
How do I use WD Backup?
Click “My Own Backup Items,” and then select the libraries and folders you want to back up on the Smart Picks tab. If you want to back up all of the libraries and folders suggested by the program, click “Select All.” Click the “Select” button after choosing the data sources you want to back up on the WD Passport drive.
Does my passport ultra work with Mac?
Equipped with USB-C™ technology, the My Passport™ Ultra for Mac portable drive offers an easy way to expand your storage. Its modern metal design complements your Mac, and out of the box, it’s formatted for macOS and Time Machine compatibility.
How do I make my passport ultra compatible with my Mac?
For Mac computers, go to the Apple menu and select Software Update. For Windows computers, go to the Start menu and select Windows Update. Your My Passport Ultra for Mac drive is formatted as a single HSF+J partition for compatibility with macOS X operating systems.