How do you unlock a Mac hard drive without the password?
In order to unlock or decrypt the Mac’s drive, you’d need to know the administrator’s username and password, unless a recovery key was created. You’d go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > FileVault > unlock the padlock with your username and password to unlock it. Then it’s unlocked.
How do you unlock a locked hard drive?
How to Unlock a Hard Drive
- Step 1: Run a disk check. Install the boot disk or USB drive, and power the computer on. …
- Step 2: Run a system file check. Boot the computer from the disk or USB as you did in step one. …
- Step 3: Complete a startup repair. …
- Step 4: Try a system restore. …
- Step 5: Refresh your PC.
Can’t reinstall macOS because disk is locked?
Boot to the Recovery Volume (command – R on a restart or hold down the option/alt key during a restart and select Recovery Volume). Run Disk Utility Verify/Repair Disk and Repair Permissions until you get no errors. Then re-install the OS.
What do I do if my Mac HD is locked?
Recovery HD is Locked
Recovery HD can get locked sometimes which is indicated by the appearance of an error message that says, “Hard Drive locked”. To get rid of this problem, simply go to disk utility, click on the hard drive then click ‘enable journaling’ to unlock the drive.
Can a locked Mac be unlocked?
After you locate your Mac, you can unlock it by entering the passcode that you created when you locked it with Find My. If you can’t remember that passcode, you have three options: Sign in to iCloud.com/find, then select your Mac from the Devices menu. Select Unlock and follow the steps to verify your identity.
How do I unlock my Seagate hard drive if I forgot my password?
Reset your Seagate Access account password with the Personal Cloud web app
- Go to PersonalCloud.seagate.com.
- Click the Forgot password link.
- Enter the email address associated with your remote access account.
- An email will be sent to your email account. …
- Enter your new password and click Reset.
How do you reset a locked hard drive?
Right-click the partition on the hard drive you want to erase and select “Format” from the context menu. Follow the prompts and make sure the “Perform a quick format” option is deselected. It will take several minutes to erase and reformat the drive. After formatting, the drive can be used normally.
How do I access a hard drive without a password?
As others have mentioned you can try using a sata -usb adapter or disk caddy connected to another computer to access the data. If the drive has been encrypted with Bit-Locker you will need the recovery key. You can also try booting the laptop with a Linux live cd & then try moving the data to another storage device.
How do you unlock a system?
Method 1: When the Error Message States the Computer Is Locked by domainusername
- Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to unlock the computer.
- Type the logon information for the last logged on user, and then click OK.
- When the Unlock Computer dialog box disappears, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and log on normally.
How do I unlock the recovery disk on a Mac computer?
How to Unlock a FileVault 2 Encrypted Mac
- On the client Mac, start up from macOS Recovery by holding Command-R during startup.
- Select “Disk Utility” and click “Continue”.
- Select startup disk in left-hand sidebar and click “Mount”.
- Enter recovery key in password field and click “Unlock”.
What do I do if I can’t reinstall OSX?
First, completely shut down your Mac via the Apple Toolbar. Then, hold down Command, Option, P, and R buttons on your keyboard as you restart your Mac. Continue to keep these buttons held until you hear the Mac startup chime twice. After the second chime, let go of the buttons and let your Mac restart as normal.
How do I boot my Mac into recovery mode?
How to start up Mac Recovery Mode
- Restart your Mac.
- Immediately hold down Command-R.
- Release them as soon as you see the Apple logo.
How do I erase a locked hard drive Mac?
Restart a Mac and hold down Command-R after the startup chime sounds, and the computer boots into the recovery mode. Select Disk Utility from the startup menu, and you can erase your startup drive securely.
How do I restore my Mac Air to factory settings?
How to reset a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro
- Hold down the Command and R keys on the keyboard and turn on the Mac. …
- Select your language and continue.
- Choose Disk Utility and click Continue.
- Choose your startup disk (named Macintosh HD by default) from the sidebar and click the Erase button.
What happens if I restore Macintosh HD?
When you restore from one volume to another volume, an exact copy of the original is created. WARNING: When you restore one volume to another, all the files on the destination volume are erased. Before you restore a volume, copy any files on the destination volume that you want to save to a different volume.