Why is my Mac not recognizing my WD Passport?
In the Finder Preferences window, click the General tab and verify whether you have selected the “External disks” checkbox under the Show these items on the desktop section. Go to the Sidebar tab and enable the “External disks” checkbox. Now, check if you could access the My Passport external disk on your Mac.
How do I fix my WD external hard drive not showing up on my Mac?
Start with the basics:
- Check whether the drive is properly plugged in. …
- Faulty cable. …
- Damaged USB or flash drive port. …
- Reboot your Mac. …
- Incorrectly formatted drive. …
- Mac not formatted to display external drives on the desktop. …
- Reset NVRAM. …
- Check Apple’s Disk Utility to see if an external drive is showing up.
How do I get my WD Passport to work on my Mac?
Part 2 – How to Format WD my Passport for Mac?
- Login into your Mac. Just turn on your Mac and when it boots up, plug in your My Passport drive to your WD. …
- Navigate to Finder if Your Drive Isn’t Visible. …
- Launch Disk Utility. …
- Access your Drives. …
- Select “Extended Mac OS (Journaled)” …
- Eject Your Drive.
How do I fix my WD Passport external hard drive not recognized?
Reconnect the WD drive via a new USB hub or to a new PC.
- If the WD Passport drive shows up, it is the damaged USB hub that stops WD from showing up.
- If the WD passport is not detected either on your current or the new PC, replace the WD drive with a new one.
Does WD My Passport Ultra work with Mac?
Equipped with USB-C™ technology, the My Passport™ Ultra for Mac portable drive offers an easy way to expand your storage. Its modern metal design complements your Mac, and out of the box, it’s formatted for macOS and Time Machine compatibility.
Why is my external hard drive not showing up?
If the drive still isn’t working, unplug it and try a different USB port. It’s possible the port in question is failing, or just being finicky with your specific drive. If it’s plugged into a USB 3.0 port, try a USB 2.0 port. If it’s plugged into a USB hub, try plugging it directly into the PC instead.
Why is my WD Elements not working on Mac?
By default, a WD Elements HDD cannot work on Mac computers as they are formatted in NTFS format. This format is not supported on Mac devices and you will not be able to access the hard drive.
How do I get my Mac to recognize my external CD drive?
Go to Finder > Preferences. Now verify that External Disks and Hard Drives have a checkmark in the box. If not, click it to enable your external drive icons to show on your desktop.
How do I make my external hard drive compatible with Mac?
How to format an external drive in OS X
- Connect the drive to the Mac.
- Open Disk Utility. …
- Select the drive you want to format.
- Click Erase.
- Give the drive a descriptive name and leave the default settings: OS X Extended format and GUID partition map. …
- Click Erase and OS X will format the drive.
How do I reset my passport for Mac?
- Open Disk Utility in the Utilities’ folder.
- After Disk Utility loads select the drive (out-dented entry with 1TB WD Passport…) from the side list.
- Click on the Erase tab in the Disk Utility toolbar. …
- In the drop down panel set the partition scheme to GUID.
Is WD hard drive compatible with Mac?
A Western Digital external hard drive can be used on both Windows and Mac OSX. This is useful if a drive is being used under both Operating System (OS)to move files between the two environments. Most WD Drives come formatted in the NTFS (Windows) or HFS+ (Mac) format.
Why can’t I see my WD Passport?
I’d recommend you to go to Disk Management and check how the drive is recognized there. Another thing you could try is Uninstalling and Re-installing the WD My Passport from Device Manager. If you have a spare USB cable, you could try plugging the HDD with it as well.
How can I fix my external hard drive without formatting?
How to fix an external hard drive without formatting?
- Press Windows Key + S and search for Command Prompt. …
- Type CHKDSK E: /F /R /X and press Enter (replace “E:” with your own drive letter).
- When the scan is finished, you’ll see a screen that details how many issues were found and resolved.
Why is my WD Elements not working?
Here are some possible reasons for a WD hard drive not recognized: … Windows is unable to allocate a hard drive letter. Outdated or corrupt hard drive driver (download and install the latest driver to update WD) A fault with the USB port on the computer or USB device.